Tuesday, December 7, 2010

She Stood Up to Cancer

There's something very sad about Elizabeth Edwards' passing today.
Not only was she just 61, but she was a mom.

She had been in the hospital during Thanksgiving and opted out of any further treatments. I find it so very interesting that it was this very morning that the news was announcing that she had only about two weeks left. Does a doctor really know how much time one has remaining? Or, does one hear it on the news and say, hum, guess it's time. Struck me as strange that the news reported about it the very same day she passes away.
I decided to find out some facts about Elizabeth. We probably know more about John and quite honestly, oh, wait, there really isn't much honesty about John. (Sorry, if they'll lie to the spouse, they'll lie to the country)
Elizabeth met John while in law school. They married in 1977 and had two children. Their oldest, Wade, died in a car accident at the age of 17, a mother's worst nightmare. He was following in his parent's footsteps as he had just been honored by First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton at the White House as one of 10 finalists in an essay contest. Following his death, they decided to have more children. Now keep in mind, Elizabeth was 48 years old delivering their daughter and 50 when the last one, their son, arrived. Four years later, she's diagnosed with stage II cancer. Does that make you question the hormone factor like it does me? I'm a firm believer that being pregnant sends your body into hormone psychosis. It's like hormones on crack. Sends every living cell in your body through the drive through window of Starbucks for a double shot espresso.

In one of the sites I visited to learn about her, I read that in 2007, in regards to the topic of same-sex marriage, she stated: "I don't know why someone else's marriage has anything to do with me. I'm completely comfortable with gay marriage." Except that when I first read it, I read it as: I'm completely comfortable with my gay marriage." lol I don't know just where my mind goes sometimes. I actually understood that statement. Made more sense to me.

So, I hope her kids throw her one heck of a parade. She deserves it. I'll loan them my floppy red shoes. From one mom to another, Ears to you Elizabeth, may you truly rest in peas.

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth's passing was very sad for me too...she does deserve a parade for all that she has been through.

    I love that photo patti. we make a great couple :)

    ReplyDelete