Wednesday, January 20, 2010

CRAZY Day on the HB Pier!

Hub and I decided to put on our rain gear, snow boots and take a walk on the pier. It was about 3:30 pm. I brought my camera and a plastic bag to keep it in. By the time we got to the pier (and we live less than a mile from it) it was pouring really hard. We decided to just walk out there. Thinking that it was too gloomy to even get any good photos, we left the camera in the car. As we were walking along the pier we passed a police car. We kept going, however a message from the car made us stop and wonder what they said. I signaled as if I didn't hear it and to repeat it and the police stated that there was a funnel spout coming and we should probably come back. Well, we did just that. AND we did just that so I could grab my camera! I raced back to the car, grabbed my camera with the plastic bag, I clomped my way through the puddles back to the pier. The policeman looked at me as if I was crazy. Yeah, yeah, yeah...
This is how the wind was pushing the sand along the beach. And notice: NO ONE on the beach!
This guy was trying to walk along the pier with his umbrella. What a funny moment we had watching him trying to keep the umbrella open.

The next photo is one of the first ones that I took where I thought my camera was fogged up. I kept trying to clean it thinking something was blocking the focus. Unbeknown'st to me, when I came home and played with the exposure, it occurred to me that this was the funnel spout that the police were talking about.

Here is a photo of the same photo exposed to show what didn't show in the rain.

This is one of the next few picks that I took. Ironically the funnel spout jumped the pier. Or it went through without pushing me up to the railing!

Pretty crazy weather. Very fun! I laughed so hard. We got pelted with hail, totally drenched and sat at Ruby's on the Pier which was still OPEN for heaven's sake, and laughed while the dock rocked with every huge wave that hit. What a day!

For more water/winter photos visit: http://www.spunwithtears.com/thursday.html and http://waterywednesday.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Patti! Wish I could have been there. I love that kind of weather too....We had some of it here yesterday. No funnel clouds, but a 100 year old oak tree blew over on campus near Ralston Hall. Just about an hour before I got there. Luckily it managed to avoid any buildings or people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness me! That's what I call rain. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an adventure! I think I would have ran to somewhere safer but my hubby would have wanted to watch the storm too. Awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an experience! I am glad that you didn't get blown to China or something...I am often on that pier but missed the excitement this time. Amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had severe weather even out here in the desert (near Palm Springs)...roads flooded and closed, snow in our local mountains, highways closed and chains required. So nice to find your blog! Do you ever travel to the desert?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the desert and try to visit several times a year!! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. very pretty and scary shots, i loved the photo manipulations, what software did you use?

    ReplyDelete